Monday, September 10, 2012

Language class with Beth

So the formal language of Guinea is French-that's what most government agencies use-but there are several local languages-Susu, Pular, and Malinke. I sat at lunch with a guy from lower Guinea today, and he taught me how to say hello, good-bye, and little bit in Susu.

(this is all hooked on phonics; I have no idea how this is really spelled)

E maman- hello to one person

Wo maman-hello to multiple people

Wo-u-wo (think motown sounds)-good bye

Don de repan-a little bit (as in I say "E maman" and then someone starts rattling off in Susu, I say "don de repan", so they know I have no clue what they just said).

More lessons to come...

2 comments:

  1. OMG, that hurt my head:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahah! Is Beth's School for Phonetical Learning next door to the Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good? :) Love you, miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete